In today’s fast paced world, rapidly improving technology is changing the world and making it a smaller place. Technology and communication play a colossal role in our day to day lives. Science and technology have developed so much that people in different parts of the world can see, communicate with each other through live video chat software. Live video chatting is used by different kinds of people to serve different purposes. It can be used to casually chat with friends, customer service and even for a job interview. How a person presents himself/herself plays a crucial role on the impression he/she leaves with the people on the other end. Here are a few tips on how to make a good impression.
- Using a number of lights could be very helpful in making you look attractive and confident while video chatting. At the same time, making the room too bright could make you squint.
- Have a light source facing you at a comfortable distance.
- It would be a good idea to limit the number of lights used to about 4.
- Also, make use of a window in the room, if there is one. Turn your computer so that you’re facing the window. Again, make sure the room’s not too bright. Use sheets to reduce the brightness if needed.
2. Background is important while video chatting
- Make sure your background is not too bright or distracting.
- Avoid sitting with your back to the window as this makes it difficult for the person on the other end to see you clearly.
- Also, it is a good idea to keep the background clean during a live video chat interview.
3. Dress for the occasion
- Casual attire seems fine for a conversation with friends and family.
- Something formal (including a tie for the guys) would be more appropriate for an interview.
- Bright plain shirts are the best.
- Dressing well demonstrates your respect for the person you are speaking with.
4. Use the right camera for video chatting
Nowadays, a good laptop has a resolution of about 1280×800 . In case you are not satisfied with the quality of your laptop camera, you can easily buy a webcam at any local electronic store.
The best choice for a webcam for live video chatting are the
- Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 (Maximum resolution: 1080p)
- Microsoft Live Cam Studio. (Maximum resolution: 1080p)
5. Look at your camera, not the screen
- While live video chatting, it is always a good idea to look straight into the camera and not at the screen.
- Looking at the screen gives the impression that you are avoiding eye contact.
- Just like in a normal conversation, maintaining eye contact shows that you’re interested and paying attention to the what the other person has to say.
6. Use a microphone and headphones
- The microphone you get on laptops isn’t the best there is. For better clarity while video chatting, you could get a decent microphone for cheap.
- Headphones not only help you hear much more clearly, they also help in preventing echoes caused when the microphone picks up noise from speakers.
We hope these tips will prove useful. Have fun!
1CLICK is a Live Customer Engagement Software that allows you to video, voice and text chat with customer on your website, along with using collaboration tools such as co-browsing to give customers the best service experience online.
Have you tried video chats with your customers before? Give us your suggestions in the comments below!